Tuesday, January 20, 2009


With this new portfolio, I've been trying to cut out the unnessesary in order to concisely get my point across. Here's the new page- instead of labling each page PROBLEM STATEMENT or whatever other intelligence-insulting title I used to have, I gave each project a definite name -even though I hate naming things- and try to explain a bit about what I was trying to accomplish or explore with each stage of development. I replaced the image of the guy with a cicada. Locust-why Locust? In my quest for a design that an adrenaline-pumped metal-grinding dude would want I inevitably came up with something that looked kind of aggressive, otherworldly, insectlike, weird... snivelyesque as people have called it. It had a certain cicadalike quality about it. Which I realized along the way, but really, it was pretty fitting. Metal grinders and cicadas both have that shrill chirping hum, and in the case of this project where the grinder can attach onto the user's arm- the image of the bug hanging upside down from the branch ties in metaphorically on several levels. Enough about bugs though. I think I get across the same basic message with the two and a half short lines of call-outs as I did with the entire essay in the first one. That felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment